Considered by many to be the quintessential study abroad location, Salamanca’s winding streets, historic Renaissance architecture, delicious tapas restaurants and welcoming locals invite newcomers to feel right at home. Don’t believe me? Well, here are 5 reasons why you should:
1. Study at the same university as Christopher Columbus – In 1486, Christopher Columbus, before discovering the Americas, spent a year at the University of Salamanca working on studies in astronomy. As an ISA student, you will take classes in the same historical and prestigious university, which is almost 800 years old! Today, Salamanca continues to attract students from all over the world, making it one of the most diverse and student-friendly cities in the country.
2. Explore Portugal and Other Parts of Spain – During the summer, the ISA Salamanca staff will take you on excursions which go across the border into Aveiro, Portugal and to many different cities in Spain, including Madrid, Toledo and Santander.
3. Intern in Salamanca with a Local Organization – As an ISA Salamanca student, you can participate in an internship in Salamanca with ISA-ELAP in addition to your studies. What better way is there to integrate yourself into the community and amp up your resume than by participating in an international internship!
4. Bask in the Salamanca Sun – Soak up the Salamantino sunshine walking along the river or playing soccer, volleyball or other sports. The ISA Salamanca Resident Staff organizes sports games with students once a week during the summer at the university sports complex. Also, Salamanca has many public pools all throughout the city that offer a nice respite during those hot days!
5. Join the Ciudad de Español: The city of Salamanca has created an organization, the Ciudad de Español, whose only goal is to help international students studying in Salamanca. With the support from Ciudad de Español, the city of Salamanca caters to international students making it a very diverse and student-friendly abroad destination.