1. Location, Location, Location – Situated on Australia’s eastern coast, encompassing over 17 beaches, and situated near the base of Mt. Keira, Wollongong is an ideal place for the outdoor enthusiast. Whether you enjoy sunbathing, surfing, mountain biking, or hiking, Wollongong has it all. It’s also only a short one hour trip from Sydney by train, so access to the big city is easy, while still being able to live in an idyllic Australian beach community.
2. Top Notch Education – The University of Wollongong (UOW) is consistently ranked among the leading universities in Australia and world. For the 2014-2015 academic year, the QS World University Rankings and Times Higher Education World University Rankings rated UOW as one of the top 2% of universities in the world and 22nd for universities under 50 years old. The University of Wollongong is also among the top 1% in the world for research quality.
3. Amazing Food – Wollongong is one of Australia’s most culturally diverse cities with over 80 different cultural groups calling Wollongong home. As a reflection of the diverse population of Wollongong, numerous ethnic restaurants and grocery stores exist, offering Persian, Vietnamese, Mexican, Thai cuisines and more. Whatever you crave, you’re sure to find it in Wollongong!
4. Arts & Entertainment – Wollongong is a thriving city with a regional art gallery, a performing arts center, and numerous restaurants and nightclubs. There is also a range of local sporting competitions, including netball, cricket, rugby league, rugby union, and AFL. In addition, the Nan Tien Temple, the Southern Hemisphere’s largest Buddhist Temple calls Wollongong home. With endless entertainment options, you’ll never be at a loss for things to go in the ‘Gong!
5. Friendly People – Wollongong is known to have some of the friendliest people in Australia! If you get lost, need a restaurant suggestion or simply feel like chatting up a local, Wollongong-er’s are happy to help! They are so welcoming that within no time Wollongong will feel like home!
Learn more about ISA’s study abroad programs in Wollongong or contact Cory Parkinson, ISA’s Australia Site Specialist for study abroad programs in Wollongong.