By Brittany Waddell-Allen, ISA South Africa Site Specialist
From July through December cooler temperatures come to Cape Town, but these cooler temperatures bring students the opportunity to explore everything that Cape Town has to offer! Check out some of these affordable epic sights, sounds and adventures to discover around this amazing South African city!
- Victoria & Alfred Waterfront (V&A Waterfront) – This is one of the most popular Cape Town attractions! From amazing restaurants with authentic South African cuisine, to local markets, outdoor entertainment, huge shopping malls, comedy clubs and even the South African Rugby Museum, there is something for everyone!
- Two Oceans Aquarium – Witness the beauty and wonder of all kinds of underwater life from the Atlantic and Indian Oceans. Student admission prices are a plus!
- Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens – Close to University of Cape Town and University of the Western Cape campuses, check out the beautiful and exotic plant life at Kirstenbosch. While you’re there, take a walk on the Boomslang Aerial Walkway! Love live music? Kirstenbosch often hosts outdoor concerts on the lawn!
- Old Biscuit Mill – Spend your Saturday morning enjoying succulent treats and shopping for unique, local merchandise–artwork, clothing, jewelry and more–all before noon!
- Want to explore your creative side? Consider joining a Cape Town Photo Tour and capture photos of some of the city’s most remarkable and beautiful sights!
- Iziko Museums – Explore South Africa’s heritage by visiting 14 different Iziko museums–from the Slave Lodge, to the Castle of Good Hope, there are many inexpensive historic sites around the country for you to discover!
- Cango Caves – take a drive to Oudtshoorn and explore one of the seven natural wonders of Africa! Go on an expedition through stunning limestone formations. Take the standard visitor tour, or challenge yourself on the adventure tour! Best part: the entrance fee is only R50 (about $5!)
- Ostrich Farms – While you’re in Oudtshoorn, make sure you take a pit stop at the Highgate Ostrich Show Farm. There you can participate in guided tours, South African ostrich cuisine, maybe even watch an ostrich race!
- Cheetah Outreach Centre – For the animal lovers, spend a Saturday in Firgrove Rural hanging with cheetah cubs. Habitat tours are FREE!
- Seal Island – Take a 40 minute boat ride to Duiker Island to watch thousands of seals in their natural habitat!
- Green Market Square – one of the major shopping and cultural hotspots in Cape Town, bargain with local vendors for all kinds of handmade goods, including jewelry, clothes, sculptures, paintings and more!
- Bo Kaap – this beautiful section of Cape Town is marked by beautiful multi-colored houses, amazing Cape Malay cuisine and a rich cultural history. Spend an afternoon exploring the area!
- Cape Agulhas – Take a trip down to the most southern tip of the African continent! This is also the location where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet! Beautiful scenery, historic sites!
- Baxter theater – Located on UCT’s campus, there’s always plays, musicals, comedy shows and dance performances happening for students who love the arts! There are often student discount tickets for shows!
- Groot Schuur Hospital – For the science fans, take a tour through the surgery theater that was used to perform the world’s first successful heart transplant!
Get started on your study abroad adventure in Cape Town today.